CupixWorks October 2020 Update
++Complete release notes are now available at our updates.cupix.works web site.++
What’s new in CupixWorks?
In this update, major new features were added to enhance your CupixWorks SiteView experience. Point clouds are now supported in SiteView, allowing you to view, use, and save point cloud data. You can also extract room data from a BIM and navigate through the corresponding digital twin in SiteView by room name. Many minor features have been implemented, including the real-time online presence feature in SiteView, and an increased file upload limit of 3 GB.
Additionally, CupixWorks licensed users can now request access to our new desktop app CupixWorks Cloud Connect to upload point cloud data, JSON files, as well as captures. Learn more below on how to obtain a CupixWorks license.
Point Clouds are Enabled in SiteView
View Point Clouds Overlaid On or Next to As-Built Digital Twins
Point clouds can now be published to SiteView, allowing you and your team members to navigate through the jobsite like Google-Street View. Use SiteView Settings to adjust the point cloud display options, and:
- In walkthrough mode, view point clouds alone, overlaid on, or next to the as-built digital twin created using 360°photos simultaneously taken at the jobsite.
- Use our newly added clipping panels to view and adjust point cloud cross sections in walkthrough or 3D mode.
- Define a volume of interest using clipping panels, then download the point cloud data within this clipping volume.
- For Measure-Ready captures, you can take measurements using the point cloud to select start and/or end points, just choose 'On 3D Object' as your point selection method.
Navigate SiteView Using Rooms
Understanding Your Location is Even Easier Now
BIM files sometimes contain additional room information including name and each room's location in 3D space. This room data can now be extracted from a BIM file, then published together to SiteView. By adding rooms to a SiteView in this manner, you can now:
- Search for a location by room name from the Search SiteView field, then click the room name to navigate to the centermost pano in that room.
- Search for a room and hover your mouse over the room name to highlight the location of the room in 3D space when viewing the digital twin in walkthrough or 3D mode.
- View the locations of each room in 3D space on the reference plan in 3D mode.
License Required: CupixWorks Cloud Connect
Upload Point Cloud Files and Cupix JSON Files
Users can currently upload 360° photos, 360° videos, and BIM to the CupixWorks web app. To provide an alternative upload method for other file types, we are offering the CupixWorks Cloud Connect desktop app to licensed users. With CupixWorks Cloud Connect, you can:
- Upload point clouds, JSON files, and 360° photo or 360° video captures.
- View all uploads you've previously made through Cloud Connect from the Upload History tab, and easily navigate to their locations in the CupixWorks web app.
- Also download SiteViews and area panos from the CupixWorks server to your desktop for offline viewing and archival purposes.
Additional Features and Improvements
Cupix is always looking for ways to upgrade usability. In this update, we've implemented over forty new features, improvements, and bugfixes. Check out the following improvements that are included in this update:
- New Feature: In the BIM Setup > Origin menu, added new functions "Pick Horiz. Plane" and "Pick Vert. Plane". User clicks "Pick Horiz. Plane" or "Pick Vert. Plane", then clicks a plane on the BIM to set the plane parallel to the X or Y axis, respectively.
- In the BIM Setup > Origin menu, added the new option "Rotate first and then offset the origin". When selected, the offset is applied based on the new rotation that has been applied to the BIM and the axis. Otherwise, the offset is applied using the originally defined origin and rotation.
- Fixed an issue where users were unable to select X and Y planes when working with BIM files in DWF format.
Capture Detail Page
- Capture areas can now only be published when its processing status is set to "Completed." When capture areas have other processing statuses (ie: Error, Queuing, Paused, Performing QA), the Publish button will be disabled and appear greyed out.
- Users can now publish, unpublish, or group hand-selected panos in a batch. To publish/unpublish panos, make sure Pano is checked in Selection Filter, hold down the CTRL key and click to select multiple panos, then right click and select "Publish All Panos" or "Unpublish All Panos". To group panos into a sub-cluster, select multiple panos, then right click on a pano ring and select "Group into Sub-Cluster".
- Level Reference Objects are now displayed in gray instead of green. Previously, Level and Capture Reference Objects were all the same color (green), which could lead to confusion.
- When a pano within a sub-cluster is selected, using the "Apply Current Vertical Orientation to Other Panos of this Cluster" tool now applies the vertical orientation to panos within the sub-cluster.
- Fixed an issue where individual clusters would move in different directions when multiple clusters are selected then translated via dragging. Now, dragging translates selected clusters at the same rate and in the same direction.
Capture Editor - Point Cloud
- Added point cloud units (mile, ft, in, km, m, cm, mm) in the Properties tab. Users can select the preferred unit from the Unit drop down list.
- Fixed an issue where selecting "Ignore Z of Pt-Pt Const." when applying a Point to Point constraint to a point cloud did not work, causing the Z value of the point cloud still changed. Now, "Ignore Z of Pt-Pt Const." applies correctly, and any constraints will not change the Z value of the point cloud.
- Fixed an issue where the point cloud clipping plane and range of clipping extents were not dynamically updated after a point cloud was moved or rotated. This resulted in situations where setting a point-to-floor constraint on the point cloud resulted in part of the point cloud being shown because it was moved outside the range of the unmoved min (0) and max (100) values of the clipping plane along the Z axis. Now, the clipping extents are automatically moved to show the entirety of the point cloud (when max (100)) when the point cloud is moved or aligned.
- Error messages no longer automatically disappear, and users must click the X in order to close error toasts. This allows users to read and understand errors at their own pace.
- Form fields can now be duplicated. To do so, click the "Duplicate This Field" icon located at the bottom of the Properties menu for a field.
- New Feature: The Upload Reference Plan button and function have been removed from the Level Editor. Now, you can only upload Reference Plans from the Reference Plan Wizard.
- Fixed an issue in the Level Editor where Reset Zoom would center a reference plan with masking by using the scale and origin of the full image. Now, Reset Zoom takes the masking into account when centering reference plans.
- Users can now multi-select certain fields (ie: names) when creating Procore observations, RFIs, or punch lists.
- The filter search function has been implemented for the Reference Plans list. Users can now search by reference plan display name and creator name.
- Fixed an issue where changing the reference plan display name would also change the source file name. This applies to the reference plan Info menu from both the Reference Plan list and the Level Editor.
Reference Plan Wizard
- The reference plan now auto-centers in the display window each time after the user sets the reference dimension and origin point.
- Added 1" = 80' as a selectable preset scale option to the Predefined > Imperial tab under the Scale step (Step 4) in the Reference Plan Wizard.
- On the Details step (Step 2) in the Reference Plan Wizard, the default Display Name is now: 1) The name of the PDF file for single-page PDFs with no bookmarks, 2) <"Document Name" - Page Number> for multi-page PDFs with no bookmarks, or 3) The name of the PDF page if the page has a bookmark.
- When setting a custom scale, users can now cancel setting the scale in the middle of the operation by pressing the ESC key. Previously, users could only cancel the custom scale by selecting both points, then clicking the X button in the real distance dialog box, or clicking the Next or Back buttons.
- Fixed an issue in the Reference Plan Wizard that occurred when uploading a PDF reference plan to a multi-floor project. After changing the reference plan level in the Details step (Step 2), the reference plan would not be displayed in the remaining steps (Rotate, Scale, Origin, Mask). Now, the reference plan is displayed in subsequent steps after changing the level.
Reference Plan Wizard - Editing
- The Scale step (Step 3) has three sources for scaling: Imperial and Metric from the Predefined tab, and Custom. When a user edits a reference plan, Scale now automatically displays the source of scaling by default, ie: if the user previously used a setting from Predefined Metric, Scale will automatically show the Predefined Metric tab. Before, no matter the source used for the reference plan scale, the Scale step would default to display the Predefined Imperial tab.
- Fixed an issue where the configured origin of the reference plan was automatically reset when changing the scale of the reference plan from custom to a predefined value. This happened for reference plans uploaded via PDF. Now, the origin point is not changed when only the scale is updated from a custom to predefined value.
- Users can now search for email domains when looking up users in Share with Others.
- In Share with Others, when an Admin enters an email that does not belong to a team member, the text "Invite to <team name> Team" now appears next to the email. This notifies Admins that the email does not belong to a current team member.
Sharing - Permissions
- The Share with Others dialogue now displays different sharing descriptions for Admins and non-Admin members. Only Admins can share SiteViews with people/emails who are not on their team. Non-Admin members are notified that they are unable to enter email addresses of non-team members and must contact their team Admin(s).
- New Feature: Added real-time online presence for users in SiteView. Users can now see avatars of other users who are concurrently viewing and using the SiteView. These avatars are located at the top of the SiteView next to Level, and hovering over them displays a drop down list of each user's name, email, as well as links to the current level and room they are viewing. Clicking on a link will navigate you to the user's location.
- The "Load Point Cloud" button now appears in SiteViews that have point clouds available. This button is located in the upper right next to the Side-by-Side Comparison Layout button.
- Fixed an issue where SiteView deep-links did not display the reference plan with the same zoom level and centering if the reference plan was expanded in its own window when the deep-link was created. Now, deep-links will save and use the zoom level and center point of expanded reference plans.
SiteView - BIM
- When "Measure Ready" is not enabled for a capture, in addition to the Measure function being deactivated for that capture in SiteView, the BIM Transport function is also disabled. When Measure Ready is OFF and the user clicks on Transport, the error message has been updated to "Unable to transport objects. Make sure 'Measure Ready' is enabled to do so." Previously, the error message was incorrect ("Pano alignment should be calibrated to transport BIM objects.")
SiteView - Integration (General)
- If a SiteView's project is not linked to a BIM 360 and/or Procore project, the option(s) to create BIM 360 and/or Procore annotations is removed from the Add Annotation menu.
SiteView - Keyboard Shortcuts
- Fixed an issue where arrow key shortcuts for navigation did not work. Now, all four arrow keys work as normal: Left and right arrow keys pan the camera left and right, up and down arrow keys let the user walk forward and backward in SiteView.
SiteView - Markups
- Users can now click a markup thumbnail to view the markup.
- Default markup color has been changed to red from yellow.
SiteView - Mobile Browser
- Fixed an issue that occurred when viewing SiteView in a mobile browser where elements in the SiteView Settings menu would overlap (ie: Show Capture Table and the date). Now, all SiteView Settings menu elements have normal placement.
SiteView - Permissions
- Fixed an issue where users with View Only permission in SiteView could create markups using the Add Markup icon in the upper right. Now, users with View Only permission can no longer create markups.
SiteView - Procore
- Users can now attach files to Procore annotations (Observations, RFIs, Punch Lists) that are also automatically attached to the corresponding annotation within Procore. To do so, open the Procore annotation in SiteView, and next to Attachments click Add > Upload Files.
- Double clicking an item in Trash no longer restores it to its original location. To restore an item, right click the item and click Put Back. Double clicking does not do anything now.
- Users can now upload files of up to 3 GB from the web app. This is an increase from the original limit of 1 GB.
- When uploading files from the Capture Detail Page, the value in 'Uploading _____ Items' now represents the total number of files left to be uploaded. Previously this value represented the number of files that were uploading concurrently.