Compare Digital Twins and Navigate the BIM Viewer
SiteView allows you to view as-built 3D digital twins (organized 360° panoramic imagery) and BIM (Building Information Modeling) files side by side. You can view and move inside them together (synchronized), or separately (desynchronized). This is done using a Capture Viewer, Map Viewer and BIM Viewer in the BIM Compare Layout.
To help you understand how to use the BIM Layout in SiteView, this article will cover the following topics:
BIM Compare Layout
To view 3D digital twins and BIM models side by side:
- Click on Manage Widgets in the top Toolbar.
- Click on the BIM Compare Layout button:
Capture and Map Viewer Navigation
The BIM Compare Layout is made up of three different viewers, each having their own set of controls: Capture Viewer, Map Viewer, and BIM Viewer. To learn how to navigate and control the Capture Viewer and Map Viewer, please read:
- Capture Viewer Settings
- Reference Plans and the Map Viewer
BIM Viewer Navigation
All BIM Viewer movement is synchronized with the Capture Viewer by default. (Note that you can Desync and then Resync it to examine BIM objects outside of the current Capture Viewer pano.)
- Model Structure - Turn specific object model types on and off. This is useful for viewing certain areas that are blocked from view by walls and other objects.
- Measure Distance - When enabled, this allows you to measure distance, angles and calibrate from one point to another.
- Properties - Click on any object in the BIM model to see details like constraints, material type, cost, dimensions and more.
- Transport - Select an object to overlay in the Capture Viewer and then click this button to Transport it onto the pano.
- Reset View -Return the view to the original one. This is only active when the Capture Viewer and BIM Viewer are desynchronized.
- Unlock - Click on this to open the BIM Viewer is a separate browser window. Useful for displaying on a second monitor.
Overlaying BIM Objects in the Capture Viewer
SiteView offers the ability to transport BIM objects into the Capture Viewer and overlay them on panos. This is useful for directly comparing BIM designs with as-built (real life) panos.
Overlay BIM Objects on Panos
To overlay BIM objects on panos:
1. Use the Capture Viewer to navigate to the area with the BIM objects you'd like to transport over.
2. (Optional) If more than one BIM Model exists, choose the one you need from the Model Control at the bottom of the BIM Viewer.
3. Select a BIM object by left-clicking on it. You can choose multiple objects at once by holding CTRL while clicking on each object.
4. Right-click on a selected object(s) and click Transport Selected.
5. The object(s) will display in the pano.
Remove BIM Objects From Panos
To remove overlaid BIM objects from panos:
1. In the Capture Viewer, right-click on the BIM object to be removed.
2. Hover over the name of the object, and then click on Delete.
Desync or Resync the Capture Viewer and BIM Viewer
You can desynchronize or resynchronize the Capture Viewer with the BIM Viewer by clicking on Sync view changes among 3D widgets .